Sabtu, Jun 14, 2008

home again

Dear Shah

Arrived home just before midnight last night -- very weary. But we had a wonderful day yesterday, in spite of some rain. We visited the Treasury Museum, Fitzroy Gardens, Melbourne Museum, State Library of Victoria (Dome and Medieval imagination Exhibition -- stunning), Federation Square, South Bank and wonders of wonders The Eureka Tower. We also walked until my legs gave way and my feet were agony with blisters, but I bought first a new pair of boots which were just as bad, and then a pair of cheap flat shoes which were soft and bliss on my burning feet. We caught the last bus to Avalon at 7-40pm.
That, in itself was a wonderful ride. There were only about half-dozen people on this huge double-decker and Sam and I took a seat each, on the top deck, at the front. The night-lights of Melbourne were spectacular, especially from the top of the Westgate Bridge. Flight went out late at 10pm. This morning I got up early for my shift at radio RPH. Now I'm really tired. I'm sorry I did not attend Rosja's presentation. I meant to but we had barely begun at the Treasury Museum and Sam did not want to change his plan and hike back in that direction so soon.

However, I was really impressed with yours and I'm sure Chris and the rest of the supervisors are very happy with your progress and plans for your next step in the research. I also learnt something from the way Rachel structured her report and from Wogar's presentation. The suggestions and feedback from both staff and students must be very useful in clarifying thoughts and directions. You seem to be involved with a supportive and happy working group. Please thank the convenors for allowing me to attend. I must go and get to work on the structure of my proposal, so that I can talk to John MacC.
coherently about what I am trying to do. My abstract was not accepted for the Uni of Melbourne Conference (AntiTHESIS) in July. The convenors suggest they had twice as many applications as they had places for on the day, and mine did not fit into a category with any others. They suggest I might like to make a submission to their journal later in the year, but my whole reason for applying was "performative," rather than an analytical report. Ah, well, I've done enough gadding about for the time being.

Well done again on your presentation. And thank you for the chocolates -- naughty of you to be so extravagent, but Sam and I both appreciate the gift -- we are both chocoholics.
Cheers, Christine
-----------------------------------

Dear Shah,

I hope your visa application goes well. I cannot see how it shouldn't. Thanks for the link to zoo competitions. Sadly I am not eligible --only undergrads. I bought Jeff Lewis' book on cultural studies -- very interesting, especially towards the end on transculturalism. I ordered it through Amazon and it arrived very quickly and much cheaper than I could have bought it here. It is a second hand copy, with a few pages already highlighted, but in very good condition.

It is very windy and rainy here. Dogs may get a walk later, but I have much to do today and must return some books to Flinders. A long way to go for a few books. On Saturday night I went to a beautiful performance in the Space of the Festival Theatre. It is called "Impulse" and combined the Zephyr Quartet (strings, four musicians) with six dancers from the Leigh Warren Dancers. Very innovative exploration of the space and patterns of movement. No narrative except what each spectator brings to the performance, just logical, mathematical, lyrical statements. I was very happy with the experience.

I am about to work out what I would like to attend in the OzAsia Festival in Sept/Oct. Hope you are well.

Cheers, Christine

Tiada ulasan: